I wanna be a lot of things, and for now, it's a runner.
This is my story as I train for the 2010 Seattle Rock N' Roll marathon.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Maybe this is crazy.....

I was once told by someone that I never finish anything that I start. This is generally true; I latch on to the idea of doings things, and not always the doing part. I suppose this was evident during my college years when I attended 3 different schools before finally graduating (sorry mom and dad). Or perhaps the endless amounts of languages that I've attempted to teach myself (I swear I'm going to use those Italian books someday!) I admit, I'm addicted to trying new things, and usually liking those things, but not having the drive and motivation to accomplish anything.

Hopefully I'm about to change that. I've wanted to run a marathon for a long time. Last year I began training for one, but hurt my ankle (that does not count as giving up!) I've decided that I'm going to give it another shot and run the 2010 Derby Marathon in April.

I think the reason that I've decided to write a blog about it is because I need that extra push to get my through the end...and an outlet for all my venting when I want to give up.

I know it seems crazy. What's the point of running a marathon? There's a couple of reasons that I want to do this.
1. I'm getting married in May and there's not much wiggle room in my wedding dress. I never can just exercise for fun. I have to exercise for a goal, and for me, running this marathon is the ultimate goal. My fiance thinks I'm a little nuts for doing this so close to our wedding, and maybe he's right.

2. It's about bragging rights. I watched in awe at the runners that finished the NYC Marathon on Sunday and wished that that was me. So now I'm going to give it a shot. It's do or die. Well, maybe not quite that, but I'm going to regret it if I don't finish what I started this time around.

And 3. If I'm going to run, I might as well raise money while doing it. I know the Derby Festival has preferred charity programs to run for, so I'm going to take a look at them and decide which one I think is the best fit for me. I'll post my decision later. I can't really decide to stop once people have donated money, right?

I'm trading in my heels for sneakers (cute ones of course) and accomplish something. Hopefully you'll find this blog funny and maybe a bit motivating. If you really like it, maybe you'd like to donate some money for a good cause. And if you don't like it, you can always comment and tell me why. I can take it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running the marathon is a very noble goal; however, I don't agree that you never finish things. You finished your degrees, didn't you?

Post a Comment