I wanna be a lot of things, and for now, it's a runner.
This is my story as I train for the 2010 Seattle Rock N' Roll marathon.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Minute Lasts Forever

Goal- 6 miles
Miles run- 6.2
Pace-Not sure bc stupid iPod broke
Location- Central Park

Do you know how long a minute lasts? Apparently a really long time according to my watch. I was trying to set my pace for running by doing 4 minutes of running, 1 minutes of walking. This turned into a lot of watch staring. I think the more I looked at it, the slower time passed.

Today I did my first semi-long run of 6 miles in my favorite place in the city: Central Park. It's such an awesome backdrop when you think you might die because you haven't eaten anything yet and running without any food was stupid. Also, Central Park is where all the serious runners run. They make you not want to stop running, for risk of possibly being run over by the hordes of running groups. Seriously, these group are everywhere and they always carry on conversations while they run. I'm not quite there yet; I run and zone out.

I use Nike+ to track my runs on my iPod. This is a sensor that goes in your shoe and sends a signal to your iPod, which tracks your pace, time, distance and calories. Halfway through, the stupid iPod decided to not play music anymore. At first I was very not happy, because I need my Britney to get me through, but it ended up being kindof nice. I started doing people watching. People look really funny when they run. A lot of them flail their arms around. I'm not sure if this is a running technique, but I probably will not adopt it.

When I got home, I was starving, so I made my staple breakfast food that gives you energy for the whole day: Cocoa Buckwheat Pancakes.
I adapted the recipe from one of my favorite books: The Thrive Diet. You should really check it out because Brenden gives you a ton of information on what to eat after working out.
Here's my version of the recipe. Don't be scared of some of the weird ingredients. They really are good; even Ryan likes them.

Cocoa Buckwheat Pancakes (makes 1-2 servings)

1/2 c of Buckwheat flour
1 banana
1/8 ground flax seed
1/8 hemp protein (I like Living Harvest Chocolate Chili. You can get it at Whole Foods)
1/4 of water or rice milk/almond milk/coconut milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 c or more of cocoa
1/8 c or more of vegan chocolate chips (or regular if you eat dairy)

Put the banana and milk/water in a blender (I use a Magic Bullet) then mix everything else together and place on a hot skillet.

Let me know what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment