I wanna be a lot of things, and for now, it's a runner.
This is my story as I train for the 2010 Seattle Rock N' Roll marathon.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Today's Run: Part One

Today, I found out how mailmen felt. I'm in Kentucky this week staying at my parent's house. I went out for my run today thinking how nice it would be to run in a neighborhood and not fight any people or traffic. What I didn't think about was a few of the other obstacles that I might endure:

1- It's hot. Not New York hot, but Kentucky hot, which is a whole other beast of its own. The air is humid and I immediately found it next to impossible to breathe. Also, when checking the weather, I saw that it was a pleasant 73 degrees so I felt that it was still a nice temperature to run in. Not so much. That leads me to point #2.

2- Neighborhoods (at least my parent's) have no sidewalks, only super hot, sun reflective black top. This makes the pleasant 73 degrees now a blazing 100 (that's what if felt like as I was running).

3- Cities have lots of dogs. Dogs are everywhere. However, dogs in cities are on leashes. Dogs in neighborhoods are not. There were 2 Cujo's locked up behind a gate that were not pleased with me being in their territory, followed by another dog that trying to decide if I was a threat or not. Luckily, he decided that I wasn't and ran back to his house.

Needless to say, this run attempt was a no-go. Now I know to only venture out either early in the morning or in the evening. I will try again this evening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment